In the case where the license server is already configured but you have received a new license file, complete the following steps in order to activate the new license file:
Step 1: Open the MSC Licensing Tool
Click Start search for MSC.Licensing and select the MSC Licensing Utility to open it as shown in Figure 1.
If you do not have the MSC Licencing Tool on your computer it can mean 1 of 3 things:
- The license server is located on a different computer. In case search: Edit environment variables for your account and open it. Search for the MSC_LICENSE_FILE variable in System Variables, the value should look something like this: 27500@license-server. The license server will be installed on license-server and the license should be renewed on that computer.
- The MSC licensing tool must be installed on your computer for the first time, refer to How to Setup a License Server Using the MSC Licensing Tool.
- The license server was setup in LMTools directly without the use of the MSC Licensing Tool. In this case search for LMTools and open it.
Step 2: Select the MSC license server
Choose the service for which you have a new license if you have more than one supplier using LMTools as shown in Figure 2.
Step 3: License file location
Click on Server Status and look what is the current license file being used as shown in Figure 3.
Step 4: Replace the license file
- Locate that license file and rename it to license_old.dat.
- Copy the new license into the same folder and rename the new license file to License.dat.
- Open the new license file, using a text editor such as notepad.
- In the first lines of the new license file, notice that next to server is written this_host and next to Daemon MSC is written /your_path/msc.
- From your old license file, copy and past the computer name and path into the new license file to replace this_host and your_path as shown in Figure 4.
- Save the changes.
- Ensure that the new license file has the exact same name as what the old file had before you renamed it
Once the new license file has been edited, you can stop and restart the license server as shown in Figure 5 to use the new license. by Perform the following steps:
- Select the Start/Stop/Reread tab in LMTools. (If you closed LMT repeat step 1 and 2)
- In the Start/Stop/Reread tab, check the Force Server Shutdown option and select Stop Server.
- Select Start Server to start the license server using the new license.
- To ensure the license service is running, open the Server Status tab and select Perform Status Enquiry as shown in Figure 6
- Read the information after Vendor daemon status. It should show that licenses have been issued. If this is the case, you have successfully renewed your license and the process is done.
- In some rare cases, the Service status might incorrectly show the status of one of the other license services and NOT the one you selected on the first tab (The wrong supplier name or products are listed here).
- If it states somewhere that The desired vendor daemon is down, then the process was unsuccessful and you will have to check all the steps again. If the problem persists, continue to Trouble shooting section.